In 1892 brothers Christian Hinrich Carstens and Ernst Carstens opened a ceramics factory in Rheinsberg (Brandenburg) Germany. Up until the 2nd world war, the company maintained production at various locations. By 1945 the company had more or less collapsed and the location in East Germany was lost. It was then that the brothers established Carstens-Tonnieshof which, from 1947, was located in Fredelsloh (Niedersachsen). Carstens not only produced vases, but also lamp bases and other utility ceramics. By the 1970’s they had factories in Austria, Australia and South America. The Fredelsloh location closed in 1977. Due to financial problems Carstens Tonnieshof closed down completely in 1984. Main designers were Trude Carstens, Gerda Heuckeroth, Dieter Peter and also A. Seide.